Enrolment process

The first year of primary school is known as reception.

Government primary schools have 2 major enrolment intakes from 2024, one for children at the beginning of the year (intake 1) and one for children to start school in term 3 (intake 2).

If your child turns 5 years old:

  • before 1 May they can start reception in term 1 of that year.
  • between 1 May and 31 October, they can start reception in term 3 (mid-year).
  • after 31 October they can start reception in the following year.

Your child must be at school by their 6th birthday.   

Visit the school enrolment section on the department’s website for more information.

Apply to enrol

When you apply, the school will tell you when you can expect to find out the result.

Offers are made by schools approximately 6 months prior to your child starting school. This means:

  • For intake 1 (starting reception at the beginning of the year) – enrolment offers generally occur in term 3 the year prior to commencing.
  • For intake 2 (starting reception in the middle of the year) – enrolment offers generally occur in term 1 of that same year.

Schools with a capacity management plan will make offers to families that meet the enrolment criteria as detailed in their plan.

You can download our enrolment request form (PDF 142KB) or get one from our front office.

Offers of enrolment

You should accept the offer by the date indicated by the school, to make sure your offer does not lapse and go to another applicant.

When you accept the offer you will be asked to complete an enrolment form. You will also need to show the school some documents to confirm the enrolment.

Accepting the offer does not stop you from being considered in later offers from other schools you have applied to.

You’ll need to provide:  

  • a completed enrolment form 
  • a copy of the child’s original birth certificate or passport 
  • an immunisation certificate 
  • residency visa, if you’re a non-Australian resident (Letter of Confirmation)
  • proof of address (for example utility bill or lease agreement).  

Transition visits

Before starting school, you’ll get a letter to let you know when to attend a transition visit in term 2 for mid-year intake or in term 4 for all students starting school the following year.